couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Eunit
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2009 18:40:38 GMT
Hi Micheal,

On 10 Feb 2009, at 19:29, Michael McDaniel wrote:

>> Thanks, I'll check with legal-discuss@ when this list agrees on
>> adding
>> EUnit support. Bundling EUnit is not necessary as of the latest OTP
>> release and for earlier releases you need to install it manually or
>> you
>> can't run `make test` which is not too much of a problem, I'd say.
>> Thanks
>> Jan
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> I am in agreement with adding EUnit support to CouchDB.
>
> I find EUnit useful when writing or changing code.
>
> Also, I support a separate test directory from the src
>
>     ../doc
>     ../ebin
>     ../include
>     ../priv
>     ../src
>     ../test
> (though I know CouchDB does not presently follow that OTP
>  recommended directory structure)

I don't want to complicate the proposed patches. I'm not for
or against this, but we should think about that separately.
Maybe open a JIRA ticket so we don't forget about this that
includes a short description of the benefits?

> [...]
>
> When compiling, simply do not -define( test ) and the my_mod_test
> module is not even included.  Note that this technique allows
> testing of private funs in my_mod without having to export the
> private funs.
>
> I also use Emakefile such as ...

Since we're using good old make, this would look a little different
in practice, but would do the same thing :)

Thanks for chiming and the tips.

Cheers
Jan