couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fail on a simple case on replication
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2009 10:44:40 GMT

On 24/02/2009, at 9:02 PM, Jan Lehnardt wrote:

> Hi Antony,
>
> On 24 Feb 2009, at 00:34, Antony Blakey wrote:
>> <flamesuit on>
>> OTOH, one should use the correct term and not redefine existing
>> terms to suit one's own purpose. In a tangentially related way, the
>> use of the term RESTful wrt CouchDB is a marketing abomination.
>> </flamesuit off>
>
> I've heard that before. CouchDB's core document API is as
> RESTful as it gets. But not all of CouchDB's API is RESTful
> and it wouldn't even make sense. I don't see any abomination
> going on here. Thanks.

Couch's core document API is not RESTful. It doesn't use a specific
media type to define the interpretation of the content, and it uses
externally defined URL structures to effect operations. That's not
RESTful, and I don't think CouchDB should use the term.

My argument in this context is pointless. I know it's not going to
change.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

The project was so plagued by politics and ego that when the engineers
requested technical oversight, our manager hired a psychologist instead.
   -- Ron Avitzur