couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: couchdb transactions changes
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2009 13:58:50 GMT

On 10/02/2009, at 12:17 AM, Jan Lehnardt wrote:

> On 9 Feb 2009, at 13:38, Antony Blakey wrote:
>>> Antony, those sounds like interesting ideas, and I hope you can
>>> get it working. But a one-way replicable db with full-consistency
>>> guarantees is not what CouchDB was ever intended to be (to be
>>> clear, this is a statement of fact). I don't disapprove of it, but
>>> it doesn't fit with CouchDB's design. I'm also not convinced of
>>> the utility of it in the general case, the one-way replication
>>> limitation to me doesn't solve interesting problems, but that's
>>> just my opinion.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> And if my assumption about the ordering of replication records is
>> correct, I'd like to see a commit # in the rev because that enables
>> replication that would preserve an ACID bulk_docs contract in
>> exclusive replication scenarios.
>
> The question is wether you are willing to drive the coding effort and
> community communication to make that happen. Like Damien, I'm not
> trying to discourage you, on the contrary, I'd love to see the
> community
> driving features.

I mentioned this a) to see if Damien thought it would fly (although I
think the commit # needs to be a random); and b) because it resolves
one reason to not even bother with an ACID endpoint; and c) he has
another proposal around changing the rev format.

I'm happy to do this work, but in both of these cases I would be
stepping on stuff that Damien is actively changing.

Finally, this is the community communication I'm trying to drive! And
I'm overjoyed to see these two threads.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a
faithful servant. We have created a society that honours the servant
and has forgotten the gift.
   -- Albert Einstein