couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Chris Anderson" <jch...@apache.org>
Subject all_seqs stream (was Re: Update notifications including update sequence)
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2009 07:55:31 GMT
There are some other update-notification features that could be really
useful, especially for streaming applications.

Damien's called for a Comet-style connection option for replication,
which brings really cool affordances on the browser (as well as
industrial strength replication-streams).

Essentially we're talking about an all_seqs view, with various models
for consuming it.

/db/_all_seqs?since=200

This would send you the updates that happen after seq 200. With this
you can hold open a connection, waiting for sequence numbers to
increment.

You can filter the updates

There is also the possibility of filtering the updates with a
JavaScript (or other) function posted to the server. It returns true
or false, passing matching updates along to the client. Updates that
don't match won't be sent to the client. Using this method you can get
instant updates of eg: my emails.

This is all Damien's magic, basically things he's mentioned on IRC
etc. I think Couch is ready for us to start refining the client APIs.
There's room to do some fairly heavy lifting here.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com