couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Chris Anderson" <jch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Dropping _temp_views
Date Sun, 04 Jan 2009 00:30:26 GMT
On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 4:22 PM, Matt Goodall <matt.goodall@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/1/3 Chris Anderson <jchris@apache.org>:
>> We've discussed dropping temp_views on a number of occasions. They
>> "don't scale" and tend to cause user confusion.
>
> I'm really surprised the temp view causes confusion for long. I always
> considered it as basically analagous to a psql prompt - a great place
> to hack around, play and develop a a view/query, but not something
> you'd ever try to use in a real application.

The problem is the cost can be Insanely High on a big cluster.

> Also, in my experience, a temp view behaves exactly the same *for
> development purposes* as continually updating a design document would,
> i.e. if you change it the view gets rebuilt and things can crawl, if
> you don't it's fast.

Once upon a time, I asked Damien for something like temp views, but
with a limit - eg, "give me the results of running this view on random
documents until it's emitted eleven rows." This would be perfect for
debugging, and maybe even useful for statistical sampling, if we got
it right. Maybe the easiest thing would be for the client to POST a
list of document ids, along with the temp_views. Then it could be
flexibly useful without having extreme failure modes.

 If we keep the feature, it should move in the direction of being more useful.

Chris

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com