couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul Davis" <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Config Validators
Date Tue, 13 Jan 2009 17:56:17 GMT
On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Damien Katz <damien@apache.org> wrote:
> What happens on startup after the user puts bad values into the ini file?

This is exactly the question at hand as addressed by COUCHDB-153.
Currently, if a directory structure doesn't exist or permissions are
wrong somewhere, CouchDB shits itself and dies a horrible flaming
death. All without providing the user with any indication on what the
error might've been.

I've personally spent a good half hour debugging the fact that I
forgot to `make dev` after a local-clean, so I can only imagine the
frustration for people not familiar with the system and/or the
language.

The proposed solution would be to allow methods to prevent possibly
catastrophic changes to the DB configuration thus creating a more
stable system at runtime as well as providing a notification at
startup when something appears to be screwed up. The question at hand
is about the mechanics of how the errors during startup should be
handled.

And I choose a slightly modified form of 2, but have the config module
call each registered validator immediately and then close things down
if one fails.

HTH,
Paul Davis