couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Couchdb Wiki] Update of "CouchDB in the wild" by blackmagic rue
Date Fri, 23 Jan 2009 01:54:00 GMT

On 23/01/2009, at 12:07 PM, Patrick Aljord wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 12:59 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> My concerns do not apply to Google because they frame their website
>> and
>> purpose
>> differently. When you visit Google you're not prompted or reminded
>> about
>> opportunities for copyright infringement.
>>

> Well, gipirate is a search engine and has a bot that searches the
> web for
> torrents, just like google with torrents and the rest of the web.
> You can
> use bittorrent search engine to download gnu/linux distributions,
> jamendo
> music and more copyleft work, I do it all the time. Sure, many
> people use it
> to get illegal stuff. But if you look at the google top keyword
> searches
> you'll see porn, p2p, torrents, gambling etc on that list. So many
> people
> use it to do illegal/nsfw search, should we ban google too?

The issue with gipirate starts with the name. The name says 'theft'.
If it was called gitorrents or gitorrensearch, then maybe your
argument could be taken seriously. You wouldn't quibble over a site
called giporn being about porn, even if you could conceivable find
artistic nude stills on such a site.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to
deficiencies.
   -- C. A. R. Hoare