couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Damien Katz <dam...@apache.org>
Subject [REPORT] Apache CouchDB
Date Sun, 18 Jan 2009 21:15:56 GMT
CouchDB is a distributed document-oriented database system written in
Erlang.
The project graduated to TLP in November 2008 and Damien Katz was
approved as
the Apache CouchDB PMC .

- Community

The community around CouchDB grew in the last couple of months quite a
bit. We
gain attention in early adaptor markets and can look at the first
production
grade setups running on CouchDB (iWantMyName, pcapr.net<http://www.pcapr.net
 >).

The mailing list traffic grew and so did the number of third party
library
implementations that interact with CouchDB. More and more support on
the mailing
list comes from outside the core team which proves that there is an
active
community growing.

Multiple open source projects and commercial projects and products
built on
CouchDB have been released or launched in the last few weeks. We are
trying to
keep track of them onhttp://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/
CouchDB_in_the_wild on
github reveals around 30 projects around CouchDB.

The three committers Chris Anderson, Noah Slater and Jan Lehnardt
started
releasing chapters from their work-in-progress book "CouchDB: The
Definitive
Guide" on http://books.couchdb.org/ The content will be licensed under
Apache
2.0 and published in print by O'Reilly Media. The book mailing list
has 340+
subscribers and the feedback is immense.

For the book, Chris and Jan are working on CouchApp, a toolkit for
writing
standalone CouchDB applications that is gaining traction on its own.

- Development

We are now looking to release CouchDB 0.9.0 in January, our first as
TLP and our
first BETA release .

New features for 0.9.0:
- Security and data validation functionality
- View server internals re-architecture to allow the ability to
quickly read
     stale views as indexes are being updated.
- Multi-key view lookup enhancements
- Include_docs. Ability to load full documents with view rows.
- Btree performance improvements
- Faster and more compact internal JSON term format, that is also the
new Erlang
     canonical JSON term format. Additionally, when a low level JSON
parser is
     implemented in core Erlang, it is will use this format and we'll
gain more
     performance for free.
- Ability to run a CouchDB server right from the project source
directory,
     for development purposes
- Streaming attachment writes
- fliters for converting json documents to other formats (XML, HTML,
etc)
- Deferred commits (optional acid) for faster update and replication
speed

- Infrastructure
We have now transfered all couchdb assets over to the final TLP
locations,
including the couchdb.apache.org site, the mailing lists and the SVN
repositories.