couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: COUCHDB-190
Date Sat, 31 Jan 2009 06:41:38 GMT

On 31/01/2009, at 4:59 PM, Chris Anderson wrote:

> Part of the point of using POST was to avoid all the compatibility
> questions with non-conforming user-agents. I understand that bending
> over backwards for broken UA's is not the best way to go (hence my
> interest in the patch) but I think we'd do well to go above and beyond
> the spec here.
>
> From my bad-old days as an IE jockey, I seem to remember some stuff
> about Pragma: no-cache. I'm not sure if we have a CouchDB policy about
> supporting HTTP 1.0, but unless we can be sure that switching to GET
> won't introduce some uncontrollable regressions for old or bad user
> agents, I think we should at least continue to support POST as well as
> GET.

In the referenced m/l discussion about the issue of GET vs. POST, the
point was made that if there are problems with GET for UUIDs, then
there are going to be similar problems for GETs of documents, views
without params, /_config, /_stats etc, and attachments.

I would have thought that GET of UUIDs would therefore be OK as long
as it was at least as good cache-header-wise as the other GET
operations in CouchDB.

Antony Blakey
-------------
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd