couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Couchdb Wiki] Update of "CouchDB in the wild" by blackmagic rue
Date Fri, 23 Jan 2009 03:42:06 GMT

On 23/01/2009, at 1:58 PM, Patrick Aljord wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 10:25 PM, Antony Blakey <antony.blakey@gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
>> I think it's the difference between killing your wife and getting
>> your
>> mistress to hire a hitman to kill them on your behalf.
>>

> You're making an analogy with a google search and a bittorrent
> search engine
> search right?

No, I'm arguing that relying on a chain of intermediaries doesn't
mitigate the intention. Google's intention is to serve up search
results regardless of context or content. Gipirate's intention is to
connect you to illegal material, presuming you allow my assertion
about their name showing their intention.

Let's say that Giporn linked you to pages that linked you to pages
that linked you to porn. Does the fact that they distance themselves
in a strictly mechanistic manner alter the fact that their intention
is to link you to porn?

gipirate must be making *some* decision about where to send you based
on you eventually getting to pirated material.

gipirate = function (string) -> ... -> pirated material
google   = function (string) -> ... -> anything

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success.
  -- Albert Schweitzer