couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: change planning
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2009 12:25:45 GMT

On Jan 5, 2009, at 7:15 AM, Noah Slater wrote:

>> On Jan 5, 2009, at 4:13 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> IMO, IRC is a horrible medium for anything but direct support of
>> users, and
>> small debates, because it tends to leave people out of the
>> discussion and
>> decision-making process.
>
> On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 06:55:05AM -0500, Robert Dionne wrote:
>> I'll second that. IRC seems to encourage more out of the box and less
>> deliberate thinking.
>
> I am going to have to disagree with both of these statements.
>
> You, personally, might not find IRC very useful, but I do, and I
> know that some
> of the other community members do -- not just for support and
> general chat, but
> as an incredibly fluid medium for discussion and collaboration. I
> appreciate
> that mailing lists come with a host of benefits, but they do so at
> the cost of
> formality and latency.

I'm not saying that IRC isn't very useful.  it is.   But when
important technical issues are discussed on IRC, it limits who can
really participate and collaborate in the project.

> A blanket dismissal of IRC as a counter-productive medium, which is
> where this
> whole discussion seems to be going, is prescriptive nonsense.

No one is doing that.

I'm saying it's important to keep the major discussions on technical
issues on the dev list for lots of good reasons - transparency,
participation, archival reasons.... etc

geir