couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Kocoloski <adam.kocolo...@gmail.com>
Subject is update_docs(_, _, _, false) idempotent?
Date Tue, 27 Jan 2009 00:14:16 GMT
Jason and I were working through COUCHDB-197 and discussing whether to
retry failed HTTP requests during replication.  GET requests are
surely safe to retry, but after I thought about it for awhile it
seemed like the POSTs that occur during replication are also safe.

The POST to _missing_revs on the target server clearly does not change
the state of the server; I assume it's a POST because the request has
a body.  _bulk_docs is not normally an idempotent operation, but when
"new_edits":false is sent along with the docs it looks like it might
be, since no new revisions are generated.

Adam