couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: change planning
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2009 02:56:36 GMT

On 05/01/2009, at 1:09 PM, Chris Anderson wrote:

> I think some of this is a symptom of the fact that at least Jan, Noah,
> Damien, and I are on IRC pretty much every day, so it's easy for us to
> think we've got consensus on something without bringing it up on the
> lists. Perhaps the best solution is to push this activity back to the
> lists, with perhaps of list of decisions that have been made (even if
> not implemented) maintained either in the bug tracker or on the wiki,
> with reference to ML threads.
>
> However, all that sounds very formal and slow, and at this point in a
> project with only 5 committers and very simple code base and feature
> set, which is not yet 1.0, I'm inclined to think erring on the side of
> faster/looser may be better.

I think pre-1.0 is the very time that a more transparent operation
should be encouraged, because non-backwards compatible change after
1.0 is considerably more difficult. And given the decree that 0.9 is
the compatibility freeze point, that seems imminent.

Synchronous discussion such as IRC encourages a single-time-zone of
interaction.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid
starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this
is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyranny.
   -- Bertrand Russell