couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: Extending immutability
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2009 22:05:06 GMT

On 06/01/2009, at 8:19 AM, Randall Leeds wrote:

> Is there a way we can get more fine-grained cache efficiency here?
> There
> might be complications with reduce (I'll try to think through it
> more). If
> this is the case then maybe this is not a priority for Couch. If an
> individual application knows that this sort of check with _rev on each
> document allows for some extra client-side caching without negative
> side
> effects maybe it should be left to the application.

If there is some easy way of extending the principal of references to
an immutable values, that enables 100% generic client libraries or
interpositioning caching software, then this IMO is a better idea than
leaving it to the application.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the
intelligent are full of doubt.
   -- Bertrand Russell