couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Couchdb Wiki] Update of "CouchDB in the wild" by blackmagic rue
Date Fri, 23 Jan 2009 03:14:18 GMT

On 23/01/2009, at 1:34 PM, Noah Slater wrote:

> Imagine a disgruntled DBA who decides that he's going to setup
> CouchDB Sucks and
> from that site he's doing to create one new website per day, each
> one using a
> subdomain and listing a new reason why CouchDB does, in fact, suck.
> Because he's
> using CouchDB for the website he justifies the addition of one new
> link per day
> to the links page. Each link goes to a different subdomain of
> CouchDB Sucks. How
> do we handle this? It's clear something is wrong here. Technically
> he meets our
> linking policy, but he's abusing our trust. The possibilities are
> endless.

I don't think that's an ethical decision. You could have a policy of
not allowing effectively duplicate links.

And for every way it can be abused, I suspect there is a technical
requirement that can be applied using strictly technical judgement. By
which I mean we could find a technical reason - which isn't the same
as inventing a technical reason. And if there was no technical reason,
then so be it. I'll die by the sword.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

Lack of will power has caused more failure than lack of intelligence
or ability.
  -- Flower A. Newhouse