couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject VOTE: accept newline patch into CouchDB for 0.9
Date Fri, 23 Jan 2009 22:42:13 GMT
Hey,

I've been simultaneously looking forward to and dreading this, but here goes.

We need to decide a resolution for COUCHDB-107:

  End JSON responses with newline char

This ticket has a patch, and it's been discussed to death on the mailing list.

The summary of the arguments are:

  * PRO: It is POSIXly correct and improves usability from the command line

  * CON: It might not conform to a future canonical JSON representation

Even though this seems to be the colour of our very own bikeshed, we still need
to paint the damn thing, so I think it's best to decide the colour once and for
all and get on with releasing 0.9 along with any other API changes.

Along those lines, I hereby present four options and an informal vote:

  * Accept the patch (or a modified version) and add newline chars

  * Reject the patch (and any modified version) and do not add newlines chars

  * Further discussion, to be decided before we release 0.9

  * Further discussion, to be decided after we release 0.9

Thanks,