couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Couchdb Wiki] Update of "CouchDB in the wild" by blackmagic rue
Date Fri, 23 Jan 2009 03:04:15 GMT
On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 01:17:23PM +1030, Antony Blakey wrote:
> Now, if the law of the hosting country allowed child porn for some
> bizarre reason, then I'd have to expose my inner Kantian, and would be
> making a different argument.

Well this was my point. I am guessing that we would come to a fairly quick
consensus that we didn't want to link to child abuse images, even if this was
bizarrely legal within the context of your suggestion. The point being that
there are an infinite number of potential edge cases where judging something on
legality alone would not be satisfactory.

Imagine a disgruntled DBA who decides that he's going to setup CouchDB Sucks and
from that site he's doing to create one new website per day, each one using a
subdomain and listing a new reason why CouchDB does, in fact, suck. Because he's
using CouchDB for the website he justifies the addition of one new link per day
to the links page. Each link goes to a different subdomain of CouchDB Sucks. How
do we handle this? It's clear something is wrong here. Technically he meets our
linking policy, but he's abusing our trust. The possibilities are endless.