couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McDaniel <couc...@autosys.us>
Subject Re: [Couchdb Wiki] Update of "CouchDB in the wild" by blackmagic rue
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2009 23:43:54 GMT
On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 09:30:58AM +1030, Antony Blakey wrote:

> On 23/01/2009, at 9:15 AM, Noah Slater wrote:
>
>> I think that the links and content on our website should aim to be
>> family
>> friendly and work safe, as vague as that may be. I wasn't proposing a
>> set of
>> hard and fast rules for determining what is or isn't safe by these
>> standards. As
>> a community, we would have to judge each one on a case by case basis.
>>
>> That's essentially what this thread was meant to be about. What does
>> the
>> community think? Is this link okay or not?
>
> OK, my vote is that we avoid any judgement. Each link should have a
> brief explanation both of what it is - and that's as simple as 'porn
> site' - and how it uses couch i.e. justification for it's inclusion on
> that page.
>
> I think that not only improves the utility of the page, but also means
> you won't be clicking on any link at work and be surprised to find naked
> people. Also, it would require more effort by people submitting a link -
> if the explanation of how couch is used isn't detailed enough, then the
> link isn't accepted.
>
> Furthermore, the page should have an explicit disclaimer at the top of
> the page about it NOT being an endorsement, and warning people to read
> the site description.
>
> IMO this would allow us to strictly focus on the technical criteria of
> that page, whilst still allowing people to avoid opening any link that
> is unsuitable either for them or their environment.
>
> Personally, I'd like to see some porn site links on that page. Porn
> sites have particular operation/traffic requirements, and if I saw that
> CouchDB was suitable for that, I'd be more comfortable about building a
> media server on CouchDB.
>
> Antony Blakey
> --------------------------
> CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
> Ph: 0438 840 787
>
> The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the
> intelligent are full of doubt.
>   -- Bertrand Russell

 I am in agreement with what Antony has written above, and I vote to
 eliminate judgement as well.

 If a description does not include a suitably detailed explanation
 of how CouchDB is being used, then it does not meet the required
 criteria for being on the page.  Also, the site description must be
 descriptive and unambiguous.

~Michael