couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Couchdb Wiki] Update of "CouchDB in the wild" by blackmagic rue
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2009 19:42:44 GMT
On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 10:59:11AM -0800, Chris Anderson wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 10:55 AM, Randall Leeds <randall.leeds@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is there any way we can tell whether or not it uses CouchDB?
> > Obviously, if not, we should remove it.
> > Otherwise, I'd be tempted to say leave it.
> >

> I think Noah's point that it's a slippery slope is important. Perhaps
> Gpirate is doing groundbreaking work with CouchDB... but if it were a
> hate-site or porn it'd likely be obvious that we'd remove it. I'm not
> sure where the line, as it is a fuzzy area.

If you want to use CouchDB to build your porn empire, all power to you -- but
I think that expecting a link from our wiki is a little too much to ask. Of the
top of my head, I can think of the following problematic areas:

  * Gambling

  * Pornography

  * Sites selling weapons or promoting violence

  * Untrusted sites for professional services, legal advice, online pharmacies, &c

  * Political or religious extremism, racial hatred, &c

  * Sites related to illegal activities, drug taking, copyright infringement, &c

> Maybe the ASF has thought this issue over before. If there's prior
> consensus from another ASF wiki about where the line is, it could make
> our decision easier.

Mentors, do you have any thoughts?