couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Couchdb Wiki] Update of "CouchDB in the wild" by blackmagic rue
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2009 17:59:19 GMT
On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 12:11:22PM -0500, Patrick Aljord wrote:
> gpirate is a search engine  and as such, has no clue what's described by a
> .torrent file beyond what the basic information sections of the .torrent
> file tell them. At no time does any copyrighted content actually reside on
> gpirate's servers, nor does it pass through gpirate's network. If you
> consider a .torrent file a "map," that map tells you the names of places
> (which may or may not be accurate), and how to get there.

I am not for one second accusing gpirate of breaking the law.

However, I am raising a concern with the framing of the website. For a start,
the website is called GPirate which is a reference to copyright infringement.
The website homepage has links to movies and TV shows I might like, the ones
listed for me being items that would involve copyright infringement if I was to
download them. There is an obvious framing here that the site is to be used for
infringing copyright.

I think that is a major problem, and I'm not sure we should link to it.

> Also, note that all these torrents are available on google too.

My concerns do not apply to Google because they frame their website and purpose
differently. When you visit Google you're not prompted or reminded about
opportunities for copyright infringement.