couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: change planning
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2009 14:51:27 GMT
On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 12:11:31AM +1030, Antony Blakey wrote:
> Couch had gone from Damien, to Damien + a small group. That group is now the
> PMC, and I think you've become used to/optimized your working in a certain
> way, with communication strategies and habits that work for that context, and
> rely on your history of interaction and collegial familiarity.

Which is great!

> Your comment about how convenient you find IRC reflects that I think.

I find IRC to be an extremely rewarding medium for me to communicate through,
and this extends well beyond the CouchDB community.

> That's what I mean by clique. It's in reference to this issue, but I'm also
> aware of the possible disruption and discomfort that transitioning to a larger
> democratic framework can entail.

There's no discomfort, and there's no real change in the organisation of the
project contributers. Within the context of this discussion, the only pertinent
change that joining the ASF as forced is the transparency of the PMC, which I
think we all agree is good thing. I think the original change without discussion
on the mailing list was a small mistake in that regard, but we're all new to
this so the whole thing is a learning experience for us.

> I see a parallel with venture capital - *my* baby was no longer my own,
> and the ideals that I wanted my company to embody were not neccessarily
> the guiding force. Maybe I'm projecting, but I'd be feeling that.

Not really, I don't sense a feeling of ownership over CouchDB. I also don't
sense any real problem with the Apache Way, just the occasional confusion or
mistake adjusting to a slightly more formal way of organising ourselves. We all
knew what we were getting into before we joined!