couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <>
Subject Re: change planning
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2009 12:57:22 GMT
On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 11:05:09PM +1030, Antony Blakey wrote:
> The Apache Way is to have decision making using mailing lists. They
> discourage IRC as a medium in which decisions are made. Mailing lists
> are good for archiving discussion history, are a more democratic and
> less 'if you happen to be watching while the discussion happens' forum,
> and allow for extended discussions over time with high visibility.
> Consider the issue that motivated this thread. Chris remembered that
> Damien had said he would like _temp_view to become _slow_view. He had a
> moment so he checked with Damien and suddenly it's done. Fast and Loose -
> yes. A number of people think that change wasn't/isn't a good idea, and
> would have liked a chance to argue that point. That's good for CouchDB.
> Now, as the PMC you are technically able to dismiss everyone else's view
> and simply act as Damien's support team (and it has been suggested by a
> PMC member that you operate on that basis), but that's not the Apache
> Way, and that doesn't sound much like an Apache project.
> Couch is an outstanding reinterpretation of Notes, and I'm full of
> admiration for what's been achieved, Along with the kudos of being an
> Apache project however, comes a need to open up the clique, and adopt a
> different style of operation.

I agree and that think this was a mistake we need to learn from.

Your framing of the issue puzzles me though. I get the impression that you think
the PMC is a clique, in the general case, and that this is a wider issue that
needs to be addressed. Sorry if I am reading too much into your mail.

Noah Slater,

View raw message