couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: change planning
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2009 12:32:09 GMT
On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 07:25:45AM -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> I'm not saying that IRC isn't very useful.  it is.   But when important
> technical issues are discussed on IRC, it limits who can really
> participate and collaborate in the project.

Well, this will teach me to respond to emails in reverse chronological order.

Sure, as I clarified in my previous email to the breaking changes thread, I
think that any proposed changes that break backwards compatibility or implement
major design decisions should be discussed on the mailing list before being done.

>> A blanket dismissal of IRC as a counter-productive medium, which is where
>> this whole discussion seems to be going, is prescriptive nonsense.
>
> No one is doing that.
>
> I'm saying it's important to keep the major discussions on technical
> issues on the dev list for lots of good reasons - transparency,
> participation, archival reasons.... etc

Sure, I was just worried about the thread heading towards the conclusion that no
important discussion should take place on IRC at all, as I have seen some people
allude to in the past. I would like to see any important IRC discussions "bubble
up" to the mailing list for proper consensus building.