couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: change planning
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2009 12:15:22 GMT

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 06:55:05AM -0500, Robert Dionne wrote:
> I'll second that. IRC seems to encourage more out of the box and less
> deliberate thinking.

I am going to have to disagree with both of these statements.

You, personally, might not find IRC very useful, but I do, and I know that some
of the other community members do -- not just for support and general chat, but
as an incredibly fluid medium for discussion and collaboration. I appreciate
that mailing lists come with a host of benefits, but they do so at the cost of
formality and latency.

A blanket dismissal of IRC as a counter-productive medium, which is where this
whole discussion seems to be going, is prescriptive nonsense.