couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Statistics Module
Date Fri, 30 Jan 2009 19:42:48 GMT
Hi Paul,

thanks for your feedback.

On 30 Jan 2009, at 00:26, Paul Davis wrote:
> Two concerns:
>
> The way that stats are calculated currently with the dependent
> variable being time could cause some issues in implementing more
> statistics. With my extremely limited knowledge of stats I think
> moving that to be dependent on the number of requests might be better.
> This is something that hopefully someone out there knows more about.
> (This is in terms of "avg for last 5 minutes" vs "avg for last 100
> requests", (the later of the two making stddev type stats
> calculateable on the fly in constant memory.)

I think you are going like the new aggregator :)

> I'm sorry, but i gotta say: 'should keep the same number of open
> databases when reaching the max_dbs_open limit' is a really fucking
> verbose test name. I'm all for making our tests more granular, etc.
> but those names are just incomprehensible. Perhaps we can abandon the
> novelas with some better categorization semantics?

The idea here is natural language product description that makes clear
what is happening without you having to look at the test code which
can be non-obvious. If a test fails, you get a neat error message and
you are ready to go.

Granted, the two non-native speakers at work here might have not
picked the most concise wording, but that can be improved without
changing the general style. http://rspec.info/ has more information
about this style. I've seen Alex having great successes with this style
of BDD/TDD driven development and I am happy he pushed me into
adapting it for this.

One thing to think about that behaviour specification is not unit
testing,
but that's not what the JS suite has been doing anyway. Maybe we can
split things up.

Cheers
Jan
--