couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: change planning
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2009 13:41:31 GMT

On 05/01/2009, at 11:27 PM, Noah Slater wrote:

> Your framing of the issue puzzles me though. I get the impression
> that you think
> the PMC is a clique, in the general case, and that this is a wider
> issue that
> needs to be addressed. Sorry if I am reading too much into your mail.

Couch had gone from Damien, to Damien + a small group. That group is
now the PMC, and I think you've become used to/optimized your working
in a certain way, with communication strategies and habits that work
for that context, and rely on your history of interaction and
collegial familiarity. Your comment about how convenient you find IRC
reflects that I think. That's what I mean by clique. It's in reference
to this issue, but I'm also aware of the possible disruption and
discomfort that transitioning to a larger democratic framework can
entail.

I see a parallel with venture capital - *my* baby was no longer my
own, and the ideals that I wanted my company to embody were not
neccessarily the guiding force. Maybe I'm projecting, but I'd be
feeling that.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

Reflecting on W.H. Auden's contemplation of 'necessary murders' in the
Spanish Civil War, George Orwell wrote that such amorality was only
really possible, 'if you are the kind of person who is always
somewhere else when the trigger is pulled'.
   -- John Birmingham, "Appeasing Jakarta"