couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Chris Anderson" <jch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: API suggestions
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2008 04:56:14 GMT
On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 8:16 PM, Antony Blakey <antony.blakey@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the key boundary testing API could
> be richer, eliminating the need for the current key hacks, especially the
> use of a high-numeric-value unicode character for prefix ranges.

I almost suggesting giving an option for inclusive and exclusive
interval ends, basically, < / > vs <= / >= control from the client.
But then thinking about Maximillian's proposal (of defaulting to an
exclusive right end) I began to wonder if offering *only* the
interval-style he suggests, would satisfy both precision maths, and
newbie expectations.

Sigh... it may be that we have to offer a query time parameter,
endkey_inclusive, which would default to false (or true - to stick
with the status quo).

Something I like about CouchDB is that its view engine is such a raw
connection to the Btrees. I'm curious what Damien thinks about these
questions. I don't know enough to say if this change would be trivial.

> As I say, I haven't thought enough about it to raise a ticket, but I feel
> strongly that it needs to be dealt with, and I suspect it's more obvious to
> me because I'm deploying for an Asian/Arabic-script localised environment.

I appreciate your perspective, it's helpful to have someone around who
can advocate for internationalization. In my opinion the ICU collation
driver is configured sanely, and I feel comfortable delegating to ICU.
It's a good library for our cause. I would absolutely love to see test
cases that indicated where CouchDB can improve on this front.

There's been a suggestion of raw Unicode code point ordering as a
collation configuration parameter, specifiable in design docs. Maybe
the next logical step is a configuration member, for design docs,
which could optionally specify the ICU configuration. The Erlang/ICU
driver is pretty simple, so it's just a matter of knowing what options
we need to provide.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com