couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Chris Anderson" <jch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: slash escaping (was 0.9.0 Release)
Date Sun, 14 Dec 2008 04:17:39 GMT
On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 1:06 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
> there must
> be some workable encoding scheme so that ASCII characters [a-zA-Z] are left in
> tact for sysadmin readablity.

Antony,

I appreciate all the effort you've put in, and I understand the
arguments for having hashed based db-names. However, on more than one
occasion I've been happily surprised by how easy it is to work with
CouchDB's data files in the terminal. I agree with Noah, sysadmin
readability is an actual requirement, not just a nicety.

Perhaps your filename scheme could be appended to a slug (based on the
safe-chars) so that sysadmins could still use meaningful file globs to
eg batch rsync .couch files and view directories.

Readability / globbableness is also nice when you're trying to figure
out which views use the most space on the filesystem, a common task.

Chris

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com