couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Chris Anderson" <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 0.9.0 Release
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2008 23:25:39 GMT
On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 6:09 AM, Adam Kocoloski <adam.kocoloski@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2) The "/" in the _design doc ID is confusing.  I know it's just a document
> in a flat namespace like any other and therefore I need to URL-encode the
> "/", but to a new user playing with Futon it can look like CouchDB is really
> using a nested namespace.  I think there could be an alternative (either
> promoting _design/ to a proper resource or maybe using a different delimiter
> in the design doc ID) that would be "less surprising".  At least I think
> it's worth another discussion before the beta.

I think the solution might be wrapped up in getting paths to
attachments to legally work like:

GET /db/docid/attachment/name/has/slashes.jpg

Even if we don't provide the intermediate items as resources, letting
slashes work like this will go a long way to simplifying file-system
synching.

A solution that is rather blunt: just RUI encode everything in the
attachment part of the path before searching the docs attachments.
We'd have to compromise and say that / in docid's must be send as %2F.
Which would leave the design docs back at the place where they were
before they magically encoded their slashes. (or we could have an even
more special special rule for design docs.)

Oh someone, please make it easy! (and correct)

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com