couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Damien Katz <dam...@apache.org>
Subject [REPORT] Apache CouchDB
Date Mon, 15 Dec 2008 19:11:50 GMT
This is the Board report for Apache CouchDB for Dec 2008. This is our
first as a TLP.

-Damien

----

CouchDB is a distributed document-oriented database system written in
Erlang. The project graduated to TLP in November 2008 and Damien Katz
was approved as the Apache CouchDB PMC .

- Community

Damien Katz was named Erlanger of the Year at the 2008 Erlang User
Conference in Stockholm for his work with CouchDB.

Noah Slater is super awesome. Claims to have award as proof (other
project members skeptical).

- Development

We are now looking to release CouchDB 0.9.0 in early January, our
first a TLP and our first BETA release .

New features currently in trunk for 0.9.0:
- Security and data validation functionality
- View server internals re-architecture to allow the ability to
quickly read stale views as indexes are being updated.
- Multi-key view lookup enhancements
- Include_docs. Ability to load full documents with view rows.
- Btree performance improvements
- Faster and more compact internal JSON term format, that is also the
new Erlang canonical JSON term format. Additionally, when a low level
JSON parser is implemented in core Erlang, it is will use this format
and we'll gain more performance for free.
- Ability to run a CouchDB server right from the project source
directory, for development purposes

- Infrastructure

We have now transfered all couchdb assets over to the final TLP
locations, including the couchdb.apache.org site, the mailing lists
and the SVN repositories. The last remaining item is to setup a
redirect from incubator.apache.org/couchdb/ to couchdb.apache.org.

We have a daily build site hosted by Jan Lenhardt. http://build.couchdb.org/