couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: slash escaping (was 0.9.0 Release)
Date Sat, 13 Dec 2008 05:31:03 GMT

On 13/12/2008, at 3:48 PM, Chris Anderson wrote:

> I think opening up the character classes of the db and design doc
> names like this is OK, as it won't effect people who use the current
> permitted character set. There's no reason this would not work
> alongside the aforementioned design and attachment path slash rules.

Agreed. I still think a special rule for doc ids starting with '_'
isn't a great idea, but obviously I'm in the minority on that, and
it's a trivial issue compared to restricting names as is currently done.

> Antony, I think you'll find that once you've written the appropriate
> JavaScript tests for this feature, it'll be hard to resist adding
> escaping to the Erlang db-name validation code.

Actually, the name validation would merely consist of 'not-empty'.

The gating issue is getting agreement about the on-disk structure,
because the key change is breaking the name <=> filename equivalence
assumption.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.