couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject History of deletion, and the interaction with compactions
Date Mon, 22 Dec 2008 04:14:53 GMT
I've just done some testing and noticed that if I delete documents and
then do a compaction, then the record of the document's deletion
remains in the _all_docs_by_seq view. This includes the document id.
This implies that the database will forever contain some details about
deleted documents (the document id and sequence number), and hence the
database size has a monotonic increasing minimum bound related to the
number of documents ever created and the size of their document ids.

This removes an issue with _externals missing deletions, and it makes
ad-hoc id-based replication possible, but has any thought been given
to this issue for high throughput use cases?

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

A Buddhist walks up to a hot-dog stand and says, "Make me one with
everything". He then pays the vendor and asks for change. The vendor
says, "Change comes from within".