couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Damien Katz <dam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 0.9.0 Release
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2008 19:54:40 GMT

On Dec 2, 2008, at 2:38 PM, Dean Landolt wrote:

>> ...and to finally change "count" to "limit" in view query string
>> arguments.
> I'm a big fan of "limit" -- I know couch ain't sql, but no need to
> eschew
> convention without reason. Also, what about changing "skip" to
> "offset"
> which is more conventional? And I know this has been asked before,
> but is it
> even remotely feasible to make skip/offset/whatever efficient? It
> seems to
> me it would make pagination much more logical, rather than having to
> drop
> down to startkey/startkey_docid semantics.

Sorry, but making skip efficient is hard to do in a partitioned setup,
and considering the stateless HTTP api, the startkey semantics
actually work quite well. Users don't want view rows 50-60, they want
the next or the previous page of results. When using absolute offsets,
if the view changes underneath the user between paging requests, they
may not even realize the rows have shifted and they are now in a
completely different place in the view.

-Damien