couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Changing rev to _rev in view results (Was: Re: newbie question #1)
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2008 12:14:38 GMT

On 29 Dec 2008, at 11:48, Noah Slater wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 09:11:29PM +1030, Antony Blakey wrote:
>>
>> On 29/12/2008, at 7:20 PM, Christopher Lenz wrote:
>>
>>> This would break all substantial client code out there for
>>> questionable benefit.
>>
>> It's not even a released product yet. Preserving accidental
>> implementation artifacts to satisfy early pre-release clients is a
>> very
>> sad idea.
>
> Come again? CouchDB is most certainly a released product.
>
> I understand the concepts about being able to break backwards
> incompatibility
> before the legendary 1.0 release of a free software project, but
> categorically
> denying there is nothing to consider is wildly misleading!

We've been very clear in the past that we might break the API before
1.0 (which
Damien narrowed down to 0.9 now, which is okay). I'm not categorically
denying
that there's client code out there, but we document the changes well
and the
changes required should be minimal and easy to do.

At this stage, client code should not be a concern here.

Cheers
Jan