couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: slash escaping (was 0.9.0 Release)
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2008 21:16:12 GMT

On 12/12/2008, at 7:36 AM, Noah Slater wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 06:58:25AM +1030, Antony Blakey wrote:
>> The file name can be escaped. There are also limitations on the
>> length of the
>> filename depending on the platform. I suggest using an escaped form
>> of some
>> initial segment of the name, concatenated with an escaped form of
>> some final
>> segment of the name, concatenated wit a hash of the full name.
>
> Actually, good point. Can we not URL encode names? That way, any
> character
> outside of the safe range would end up percent encoded. If not that,
> there must
> be some workable encoding scheme so that ASCII characters [a-zA-Z]
> are left in
> tact for sysadmin readablity.

URL encoding makes length issues worse. Personally I think a URL
encoded substring plus hash, with a system maintained json document
mapping filenames to original names would be OK. URL encoding takes
care of '/' and ':', both of which are problematic, and ' ' and '&',
which are annoying and often problematic.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid
starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this
is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyranny.
   -- Bertrand Russell