couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Changing rev to _rev in view results (Was: Re: newbie question #1)
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2008 13:14:44 GMT

On 29 Dec 2008, at 13:41, Damien Katz wrote:

> I disagree we should change this back. I don't know if anyone
> remembers, but this is how I implemented long ago in the first
> versions of the post-XML CouchDB. The problem was there where other
> reserved fields in documents that started with underscore, but in
> other places the fields wouldn't have an underscore. Keep track of
> which fieldname had underscores and where became confusing. The rule
> was changed to be simpler to understand and deal with. If it's in
> the root of a doc and it starts with underscore, it's reserved. You
> don't see the reserved underscore fields anywhere else, only in
> document top level.

My issue with this is when learning about CouchDB, documents come
first and the "special fields are prefixed with an underscore" rule is
taken up naturally. Later with views and query parameters, this rule
is broken. You could argue that when we teach documents, we should
make the actual rule more explicit and that is certainly true, but we
don't control the ways people pick up CouchDB. We control the API
however and are able to reduce WTF-factors.