couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: slash escaping (was 0.9.0 Release)
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2008 21:27:44 GMT

On 12/12/2008, at 7:47 AM, Noah Slater wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 07:46:12AM +1030, Antony Blakey wrote:
>> URL encoding makes length issues worse. Personally I think a URL
>> encoded
>> substring plus hash, with a system maintained json document mapping
>> filenames
>> to original names would be OK. URL encoding takes care of '/' and
>> ':', both of
>> which are problematic, and ' ' and '&', which are annoying and often
>> problematic.
>
> Length is an issue?

Generally 256 chars. Start URL-encoding unicode filenames from UTF-8
(not sure if URL encoding does raw unicode), and this could be reached
for design documents. Not likely, but something that is easy to deal
with - 0, 1, infinity wherever possible.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

Don't anthropomorphize computers. They hate that.