couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrea Schiavini" <a.schiav...@sourcesense.com>
Subject Multi-database application: is that possible?
Date Sat, 20 Dec 2008 14:01:19 GMT
Hallo!
I've been recently thinking about the possible different design choices
offered by CouchDB, and - more generally - by Document Oriented Databases.
Specifically, I considered the case of web applications like Amazon.com,
where they need to have full consistency in some specific "fields", like
item availability; still, in the biggest part of their database (the one
about item descriptions, user details etc.), they can get huge benefits from
a document oriented database.
How do they solve the problem of consistency? I think a good solution could
be to use a two-database design, with a standard SQL database to store only
item availability and critical data, and another document oriented database
for everything else. Of course, a cross database relation has to be built.
I've read that SimpleDB by amazon also offers eventual consistency, like
CouchDB; and they also state that they're using SimpleDB for the
amazon.comwebsite. So, how do they solve this problem?

Goodbye!

Andrea Schiavini