couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: slash escaping (was 0.9.0 Release)
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2008 21:08:31 GMT

On 12/12/2008, at 7:34 AM, Noah Slater wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 02:52:33PM -0500, Damien Katz wrote:
>> If the design doc has weird characters that aren't supported in the
>> file
>> system, we can't make the index file. If we hash the filename, then
>> it's
>> impossible for an admin to figure out which files are which from
>> the command
>> line. So maybe we should url escape the name for the file system
>> too. Or just
>> not support weird characters at all.
>
> People like using slashes in URLs, we can't change that. Slashes in
> file names
> are problematic, and we can't change that either. How about a
> transliteration
> from slashes into underscores or something similar. There must be a
> non-problematic way of doing this.

The problem with transliteration is collision.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

There is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor
more dangerous to manage than the creation of a new order of things...
Whenever his enemies have the ability to attack the innovator, they do
so with the passion of partisans, while the others defend him
sluggishly, So that the innovator and his party alike are vulnerable.
   -- Niccolo Machiavelli, 1513, The Prince.