couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: slash escaping (was 0.9.0 Release)
Date Fri, 12 Dec 2008 20:41:26 GMT

On 12/12/2008, at 10:56 PM, Jan Lehnardt wrote:

> On 11 Dec 2008, at 20:56, Chris Anderson wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 11:52 AM, Damien Katz <damien@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> If the design doc has weird characters that aren't supported in
>>> the file
>>> system, we can't make the index file. If we hash the filename,
>>> then it's
>>> impossible for an admin to figure out which files are which from
>>> the command
>>> line. So maybe we should url escape the name for the file system
>>> too. Or
>>> just not support weird characters at all.
>>>

>> It seems safest to use the db-name constraints on the design doc
>> name.
>> That should be simple to implement.

Noooooo ....

The DB name restriction disallows even European characters, let alone
other scripts. What kind of thinking says that is acceptable? On OSX
(and Windows and Linux IIUC), filenames are Unicode. So a user can be
fully localized except when they use CouchDB.

Why introduce such a totally unnecessary constraint when BOTH the db-
name and the design doc name could be made arbitrary, with just the
addition of a very simple function in the implementation as I have
described.

A decision like this is the opposite of aiming for excellence. And
given that it's easy to fix, you are making an explicit decision to
constrain the system for no good reason.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.