couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Multi-database application: is that possible?
Date Sat, 20 Dec 2008 14:39:20 GMT
Hi,

On 20 Dec 2008, at 15:01, Andrea Schiavini wrote:

> Hallo!
> I've been recently thinking about the possible different design
> choices
> offered by CouchDB, and - more generally - by Document Oriented
> Databases.
> Specifically, I considered the case of web applications like
> Amazon.com,
> where they need to have full consistency in some specific "fields",
> like
> item availability;

They actually don't. Enforcing consistency at their size is a lot more
expensive
than saying: "Sorry, we know we told you you can buy this, but we were
wrong,
here's a $20 cupon for your next purchase."

> still, in the biggest part of their database (the one
> about item descriptions, user details etc.), they can get huge
> benefits from
> a document oriented database.
> How do they solve the problem of consistency? I think a good
> solution could
> be to use a two-database design, with a standard SQL database to
> store only
> item availability and critical data, and another document oriented
> database
> for everything else. Of course, a cross database relation has to be
> built.
> I've read that SimpleDB by amazon also offers eventual consistency,
> like
> CouchDB; and they also state that they're using SimpleDB for the
> amazon.comwebsite. So, how do they solve this problem?

Amazon's CEO Werner Vogels describes their system in detail:
http://www.allthingsdistributed.com/2007/10/amazons_dynamo.html

Cheers
Jan