couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Damien Katz <dam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 0.9.0 Release
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2008 21:42:45 GMT

On Dec 2, 2008, at 2:38 PM, Chris Anderson wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 11:29 AM, Damien Katz <damien@apache.org>
> wrote:
>> I think we are just about ready for a 0.9.0 release and will be
>> feature
>> complete enough to be considered Beta.
>
> Woo hoo!
>

>> Two things I'd like before we release 0.9.0 is some replication
>> testing of
>> the new security stuff and to finally change "count" to "limit" in
>> view
>> query string arguments.
>
> count -> limit sounds simple enough.
>
> Perhaps if you wrote up in English what the replication security
> requirements are, someone else could add the tests.

So there are two things to test, the first is the ability to send HTTP
headers to the replicator, so that you can pass through your http
credentials when replicating with a remote host. There is code in the
replicator already to do this. This should use the same phoney test
authentication scheme already used by the security and validation tests.

The second is to test that the validation and authorization stuff work
properly with replicated edits, the same as it does with live edits.
This should already work, but its not tested. Also there is a good
chance validation/authorization failures might not be handled
gracefully by the replicator. It should eat failures, keeping
statistics about the failures and maybe a record of the last failure,
or last N failures.

>> Also, some people have complaints about the programmatic interfaces
>> for
>> map/reduce/rereduce functionality. If anyone wants to change these,
>> or any
>> other major aspects of CouchDB interfaces, now is the time. It only
>> gets
>> harder as we move forward.
>
> I'll say that I'm quite happy with the reduce/rereduce API as it
> currently stands.
>
> However, I'd like to make sure that there is room for some stock
> Erlang reduce functions to be available without a Javascript function
> definition. For starters reduce=row_count and reduce=sum would both be
> handy for a lot of applications, and implementing them as Erlang would
> mean that group=true queries would be fast. I think these features can
> be added in the future without breaking compatibility with existing
> libraries, so they don't need to happen now, but I wanted to bring it
> up in case there's something I'm not seeing.

Yes, I added this to the 1.0.0 roadmap email. If you want to have a go
at it for 0.9.0, feel free. I think it's worth it.

-Damien