couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: slash escaping (was 0.9.0 Release)
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2008 21:43:19 GMT

On 12/12/2008, at 8:01 AM, Noah Slater wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 07:57:44AM +1030, Antony Blakey wrote:
>> Generally 256 chars. Start URL-encoding unicode filenames from
>> UTF-8 (not sure
>> if URL encoding does raw unicode), and this could be reached for
>> design
>> documents. Not likely, but something that is easy to deal with - 0,
>> 1,
>> infinity wherever possible.
>
> URL encode filenames, truncate at 256 characters. Caveat emptor.

URL encode filenames, if the filename length is > X then take a prefix
and append an MD5 of the full name. No problem. That was my original
suggestion. Maintain a mapping document for in case X is small,
although IMO that's a good idea anyway because it's an absolute
fallback and guarantees a lossless transformation.

Caveat emptor isn't a great design philosophy.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.