couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Benoit Chesneau" <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: new python lib in the cloud
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2008 09:55:13 GMT
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 10:22 AM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 09:16:36AM +0000, Noah Slater wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 08:36:33AM +0100, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
>> > Just a quick mail to let you know, I've published a new couchdb python
>> > library we use internally here :
>> >
>> > http://code.google.com/p/couchdb-python/
>>
>> Is this a mistake? This is Christopher Lenz's library.
>
> Ah, I think you meant to link to this page:
>
>  http://code.google.com/p/py-simplecouchdb/

grmpfff right, was on wiki when I edited my mail :/

> I would be interested in packaging for Debian, but I am curious to know why you
> didn't work on modifying or improving Chris's library instead?
>
> --

In fact I didn't patched couchdb-python because it was moving in the
same time I was thinking about patching it  and I needed rapidly a
free-schema document management in python. py-simplecouchdb started as
a an internal change to it. Then I gave some edit to the client and
started to rewrite the schema stuff.

Now you have different features in simplecouchdb

- free-schema
- view synchronisation (inspired fromd django and ViewDefinition
system of couchdb-python) - autodetection of basic types from couchdb
to python.
- data validation (even if you could do it now on server side)
- doc type feature (each document has a doc_type property)
- client allow you to save/delete transparently multiple docs

Something I like too is the documentation even if it's far from
perfect right now, english is
defintly not my my main language and some features aren't documented yet ;)

Some other stuff I will add to simplecouchdb soon are :
 - better handling of attachment. I'm not satisfied by the way it's
done right now.
 - Better way to manage view with a python application. Maybe
something similare to what I do in friendpaste
(https://dev.e-engura.org/hg/friendpaste/file/a85eb3481574/friendpaste/loader.py)
but that could be apply easily to view property.

voilà

- benoît