couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Chris Anderson" <jch...@grabb.it>
Subject Re: HTTP and daemon plug-in architecture Re: CouchDB 0.9 and 1.0
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2008 22:08:20 GMT
On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 2:47 PM, Damien Katz <damien@apache.org> wrote:
> We really need a plug-in architecture for Couchdb for the both front end
> HTTP server so anyone can create a custom Erlang handler.
>
> These handlers would be written in Erlang but might delegate the actual work
> to external processes via a piped interface or whatever.
>
> Jan's work on the configuration API is also important here, as we need a
> standardized way to support plug-ins each with their own configuration
> settings.

I've done a little work in this vein for my Action Servers experiment.
I should have time in the next couple of weeks to deploy some apps
using Action Servers. Then I'll be ready to start refactoring it with
an eye toward making it a good guinea-pig plugin. I'm excited to have
a way to maintain them that is more modular than mere patches to
CouchDB's trunk.

Are there other Erlang projects with a plugin architecture that might
be a good example of how to manage it from a building/linking
perspective?

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com