couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Custom file driver for OS X and Windows Re: CouchDB 0.9 and 1.0
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2008 08:07:15 GMT

On Jul 2, 2008, at 19:01, Damien Katz wrote:

> So erlang still has some file driver troubles. The old issue of a
> 2gig limit is long gone, however two other issues remain:
>
> Erlangs built-in file api for disk sync/flush doesn't work on all
> platforms. The main two that I know where it doesn't work are
> windows (at least it didn't when a looked over a year ago) and OS X
> (perhaps other BSDs?). On OS X, the fix seems to be as simple as
> passing the F_FULLFSYNC flag to fcntl. Without this disk sync, there
> is no way CouchDB can safely store data. This means we either need
> the Erlang folks to fix their drivers, or create our own file driver
> for the problem platforms. Blech.
>
> Windows has the same fsync problem, plus it also doesn't pass the
> flags to sallow the renaming of our own open files, needed during
> file compaction. Again there can be fixed in core Erlang, or our own
> drivers.

I have forwarded this to the Erlang folks to get their insight on this
issue.
I feel the only sensible way to fix this is to fix the file driver.

--

On a related note: At the Erlang eXchange last week I talked to Klacke
Wikström (the author of (d)ets, mnesia, the IO system and a lot of more

Cheers
Jan