couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Damien Katz <damienk...@gmail.com>
Subject Custom file driver for OS X and Windows Re: CouchDB 0.9 and 1.0
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2008 17:01:59 GMT
So erlang still has some file driver troubles. The old issue of a 2gig
limit is long gone, however two other issues remain:

Erlangs built-in file api for disk sync/flush doesn't work on all
platforms. The main two that I know where it doesn't work are windows
(at least it didn't when a looked over a year ago) and OS X (perhaps
other BSDs?). On OS X, the fix seems to be as simple as passing the
F_FULLFSYNC flag to fcntl. Without this disk sync, there is no way
CouchDB can safely store data. This means we either need the Erlang
folks to fix their drivers, or create our own file driver for the
problem platforms. Blech.

Windows has the same fsync problem, plus it also doesn't pass the
flags to sallow the renaming of our own open files, needed during file
compaction. Again there can be fixed in core Erlang, or our own drivers.