couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Damien Katz <damienk...@gmail.com>
Subject Security and Validation - Re: CouchDB 0.9 and 1.0
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2008 16:56:44 GMT
We need to implement a couchdb security model. I think at a high level
it should be simple as possible. Also I think we won't do
authentication, that should be handled by a authenticating proxy, or
application code.

I'm thinking our model looks something like this:

We'll have server wide admin accounts, and dbadmin accounts. Db Admins
can create dbs and admin their own dbs. Server admins are like
superusers. Only admins are allowed to update design documents in
databases.

The per-database customized module will be supported by custom
validation functions contained in databases design documents.  When a
document is updated, either via replication or new edit, these
validation functions are evaluate with provided context.

Here is a very simplistic validation routine:

function (doc, ctx) {
	if (doc.type == "topic" && doc.subject == undefined) {
		throw "Error, a subject is required for all topics.";
	}
}

Something that looks at previous revisions:

function (doc, ctx) {
	var prev = ctx.get_local_doc();
	if (prev != null && prev.author != ctx.user_name()) {
		throw "Error, update by non-author.";
	}
}

It should also be possible modify the document while it's being saved,
but this might only be allowable when its a new edit, vs a replicated
update or backup restore.

All further security schemes would be handled the customized
functions, and though APIs to do database or external ldap queries.