couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Native Erlang API - Re: CouchDB 0.9 and 1.0
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2008 17:55:31 GMT
This might be me, but a native Erlang API would be nice.
For the simple reason to attract Erlang developers for the
project. They don't want to go through HTTP and they have
systems in place that are at a scale that we can only dream
of having available for testing. So we better give them what
they want. We might want to consider making a native Erlang
API and put the HTTP API on top of that to ensure feature
parity. This is, however one more level of indirection for the
folks that use the HTTP API which might be the majority of
users. Replication I think, should still go through HTTP, at
least initially.

There is another reason beside testing to get more Erlang
developers to look at the code. The ASF Incubator is about
growing a (developer-) community around a project. So far,
we are still the four original developers which might suggest
that we better look for more support from within the Erlang
community (which I personally find to be nice and supportive)
to ensure that we can graduate from the Incubator.

I hope you agree with me.

Cheers
Jan