couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From zhengji...@t3gt.com
Subject Re: CouchDB on Windows (was Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 0.8.0-incubating release)
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:43:01 GMT
On Jun 16, 2008, at 20:58, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
> Heya,
> We do want CouchDB to run on Windows, we just don't
> have any developer resources there. If you'd like to step
> in, any help is highly appreciated.
>
> On Jun 16, 2008, at 14:00, zhengji.li@t3gt.com wrote:
>
> > CouchDB is great. But, does CouchDB want to say "sorry, I do not like
> > Windows"?
> >
> > I have found three major problems with CouchDB on Windows now. Hope
> > that
> > they could be resolved in formal release.
> >
> > 1. couch_server:all_databases() does not work on file name case-
> > insensitive
> > OS, such as Windows;
>
> Why is that? It Works fine on OS X's HFS+ which is case insensitive.

"Filename -- Root": the "--" here will not work as we want obviously. For
example, Filename = "e:/aa.couch", Root = "E:/", then (Filename -- Root) =
"eaa.couch". Not to say "/" and "\" on Windows.

> > 2. On Windows, generally speaking, it's not allowed to rename a file
> > if it
> > is currently opened. This will cause database compact to fail;
>
> I'm not sure how this is implemented at the moment, but there would
> need to be a special case for Windows at worst.

Windows' deny-of-access here seems to be resonable. Maybe CouchDB need a
more gracefull process on this. Currently, there is a 5sec delay before
closing the old .couch file handle, and if CouchDB is suffering heavy I/O
load, compaction may fail.

> > 3. Futon can only run on Firefox? How about Opera/IE, etc?
>
> Frankly, IE can go to hell. But more seriously, we are currently four
> devs one full time and three voluntary and simply don't have the
> resources to make everybody happy. Eventually, we'd like to have
> Futon running everywhere and CouchDB running everywhere but
> I don't see that happen before 0.8. unless some hero steps up
> and submits patches.

For 0.7.2, after some fix, all cases except 1 can pass on Opera, while IE
just cannot show couch_tests.html at all. For 0.8.0-incubating, IE can show
test cases, but both Opera and IE can run none of the cases successfully,
while Firefox can run most of the cases successfully (except 2, one for
Unicode, and one for compaction).

The problem for Opera is that when creating a DB, there should be a "PUT"
request, but a "DELETE" is instead. This should be the fault of Opera's JS
engine? I am not sure, but the phenomenon is strange.

> Any heros lurking?
>
> Cheers
> Jan
> --